Power steering overheating, or?

Mark Holden mark at mnautosport.com
Wed Jun 15 21:30:17 CDT 2005

I was competing in a RallyCross last Sunday with my '91 SE-R, and what I
found was that 2/3 of the way through each run, my power steering would
become very, very difficult to turn, and that it would start "kicking
back" at me.  If I had a back-to-back run, my power steering was 100%
useless the second run.  If I didn't run again for 5+ minutes it was
mostly good again.

This was a ~35 second course, so I was killing the PS in about 20 seconds.

It was a semi-hot day (~80F) and very sunny, so there was a fair amount
of underhood heat.

This car has about 175K on in, less than 1K has been put on by me, and I
wouldn't be surprised if nobody has ever touched anything relating to
the power steering.

I figure the first place to start is changing the fluid out.  Are there
any recommendations for fluid to use that'll stand up to abuse?  Any
good pointers to procedures?

I figure it cost me a top three finish (well, if I could have avoided
either this, or my tire ripping off, *twice*), and this car is going to
be used for a course opening vehicle at the Shooting Star Rally in July,
so I want it to be in good shape before then.

--
Mark Holden
1991 SE-R