A/C compressor pulley squeal

Alfred Tirella atirella at ulster.net
Sat Jun 11 08:00:37 CDT 2005

Thought I had simple fan belt squealing problems.  Tension seemed
right.  Tried belt dressing unsuccessfully.   The eardrum- destroying
squeal will go away after startup in about 45 seconds with high
revving, but then comes back if I turn on the A/C. Eventually it stops.
   This makes me think the A/C compressor pulley bearing has lost its
lubrication and is ready to seize up.  I don't suppose this can be
repaired without disconnecting the A/C and removing the compressor.
Anyone experience this and if so what was the fix?

Al Tirella
'92 SE-R daily driver (195K), '91 SE-R parts car, both Super Black