STS tire comparison

John A. Heer jheer at walterhav.com
Mon Feb 7 15:33:57 CST 2005

Thought the list might appreciate the following comparison from the best
autocrosser in our region.  He is sponsored by Kumho, but mostly
recommends the Falken Azenis for STS usage:

Falken Azenis RT-215: old model, discontinued. Can still get some from
Vulcan Tire www.vulcantire.com

Falken Azenis RT-615: replacement for the RT-215. If you can get them in
your size. Considerably more money than the RT-215.

Falken FK451: shave it to 3/32"-4/32" and it's the same compound as the
Azenis RT-215. Wide variety of sizes.

Kumho Ecsta MX: not as grippy as the RT-215's, but will last a bit
longer.

Hankook Z212: new tire, no info on it yet

Overall, Falken Azenis.  They are a race tire with deeper tread that
people are now starting to shave down.  They will hang with a Hoosier or
Kumho on a road course till they get hot, about 3 laps.  Shaved they
will go about 5 laps.  I also think they are still the cheapest tire too
so that's makes picking that tire is kind of a no-brainer.

John Heer
93 SE-R (STS wannabe)