OT: Seat Heaters

Ben Fenner fenfam at sc.rr.com
Thu Dec 2 11:17:15 CST 2004

Rick Frey wrote:

> Does any have experience or opinions about adding seat heaters to your
> car?

I used to install seat heaters (heated seats) along with other
automotive luxury items for a living. They certainly work. I'd also
recommend them to anyone who wasn't racing, or isn't on a tight budget.
You can't feel them when installed correctly (other than the heat), and
they get mighty toasty. You should be able to get the bottom cushion and
the lower of the back cushion heated. If installing yourself, it's a
very simple proccess I could describe to you if you'd wish. The hardest
bit is electrical, and that's nothing at all. You will have to find a
spot for the switch. They also come in a variety of control settings,
on/off, multiple settings, and one's with temperature control via
thermostat. I'm not sure exactly where you can get proffession quality
aftermarket seat heaters, I believe you can get cheap ones from
JCWhiteney? I would try elsewhere first. An install shop would mark them
up if they sold them to you at all.
Anyhow, if they are installed under leather, that's fine, if installed
under thin cloth, you'll want to put maybe 1/4 inch of foam over the
heating element to prevent it from scoarching your bottom.

The only problem with having heated seats, is that you'll wish they made
heaters for the back of your calves.

-Ben Fenner
1994 Black SE-R