advice on idle problem--long

wmc2004aug at bellsouth.net wmc2004aug at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 29 21:54:47 CST 2004

At 01:29 PM 11/29/2004, dmh wrote:
>2. Engine is hot:  Very rough idle (nearly stalls), especially when in
>drive or reverse with the brake on, such as at a stoplight.

Had another thought, re. potential [npi] electrical problems.  I had a
Honda years ago that lost power, idled poorly, and had various electrical
gremlins anytime it rained or was very humid.  I checked many electrical
things, but never the battery terminal clamps, since they looked nice and
clean.  When I finally took the terminals off, they had a thin layer of
corrosion on the mating surface.  Knocked that off with the standard wire
brush tool, and ALL the problems went away (doh!)  Now I always check and
clean battery terminals when trouble come up, if not regularly.

Check the engine grounds too;  there's a connection at the thermostat
housing that I've seen break or corrode.

    -Wayne    '93 SE-R / '93 NK2k / '91 NX2k / '90 Miata