starter brushes

Ed edmiska at comcast.net
Sun Nov 14 01:47:02 CST 2004

Anyone know where I can get new brushes to put in my 91 G20 starter motor?
 Or maybe an inexpensive replacement starter?

I originally had some difficulty determining if the problem was the
solenoid because every time I removed the starter it worked perfectly on
the bench.  This time I tried powering the motor directly from the battery
before removing it and it didn't respond.  Therefore certainly not a
solenoid or control circuits.  (Bypassing the starter solenoid will only
spin the motor.  It won't engage the ring gear.)

I took off the brushes and sure enough the two that feed power are worn all
the way down.  The other two that ground out the winding are fine though.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed Miska
Portland, OR