Speeding ticket follow up

sammyno55 at cfl.rr.com sammyno55 at cfl.rr.com
Wed Nov 10 08:50:01 CST 2004

A few months ago I received a speeding ticket
and posted my story here.  I went to fight the
ticket last week and won.  Well, I didn't win.
Actually there was no fight.  The Florida
Highway Patrol Officer did not show.  I also
conducted research online and with the public
affairs officer for the FHP.  I could have
had the case dismissed for any of a number of
reasons if the officer had shown up.  One of
the biggest of them is the fact that there was
no prosecutor present.  This is a common fact
of traffic court.  The county uses no prosecutor
to save money.  The Judge acts as the prosecutor.
This denies you your right to a fair trial. (6th
amendment)  I witnessed 4 hours of traffic court
and no defendant asserted his right to not have
the Judge enter evidence and call a witness.
These are jobs for the prosecutor.  If anyone
would care for some of the data I've collected,
email me offline and I'd be glad to forward it
to you.

I would also like to add this: Breaking the speed
limit is illegal and dangerous.  I went to
court to fight a charge of speeding against me
that was unfounded.  I do not recommend that you
fight a ticket that you deserve.  Also of note,
some courts may try to 'throw the book' at you
even if you are in the right.

Jeff Hager