[SERCAmembers] Convention track day (Time Trials)

Kieran A. Lavin work at kieranlavin.com
Mon Jun 7 06:39:23 CDT 2004

George, you wrote:

> Well, I guess there is a first time for everything.  Never had them
in the
> past.  For my part, I will spend my time on making things happen.
If
> another group gets their act together first, that's perfectly fine
by me.

First, sorry it's been so long in getting back to you :(

You're right, I think this would be the first time for doing something
somewhat official for the convention.  I just know how there is always
banter about 'it should be here' or 'it should be there' but no one is
ever willing to step up to it.  I know you and others in Texas would
definitely step up so I have no doubts... but I *WOULD* like to weed
out those who are just tossing out ideas without anything to back up
those ideas.  Why don't we just have the convention on the moon!?

> Does this proposal have a firm track deal?  If so, we will back off.
If
> not, we will continue to pursue a track day at our end.

No, I don't think a firm track deal would be a reasonable request.  I
do think that a pretty well thought-out plan would be preferable (you,
George, as well as anyone else who would REALLY be thinking of putting
together a convention know what I'm talking about).  A track deal
should be in place maybe by fall.  Remember what happened with the
plains states and we had to go in an emergency to the southeast?

> We have them.  Six volunteers already with a strong core and two who
have
> done this before.

Very good... considering there are two out this way that don't want to
do another convention for a while ;)

> Texas is not a rumor.

Good, I'd love to do Texas again... see if I can figure out the roads
this time.  BASS PRO DRIVE!

> As always, the convention will be wherever a group of volunteers
pulls one
> together.  Unless SERCA national is going to fund and staff the
convention,
> all the voting in the world will not make it happen.

I agree 100%... maybe I didn't come across in the right way with my
post.  As I think you're aware, I think it's important to weed out all
the talkers and start dealing only with those that'd be willing to DO!

> I don't mean to be negative about this, and at some point this will
become
> a necessity.  But so far there have yet to be two groups ready,
willing,
> and able to put one together an pull it off in the same year.  For
my part,
> if another group gets it together, I'd be happy to back out and just
be
> able to attend rather than put it together.  But, we already have
started

Maybe we should talk about it sooner rather than later.  George (and
this goes for anyone else thinking of doing a convention), could you
shoot me a quick e-mail with your intent to host the convention and
give me a quick rundown (approximate dates you're shooting for, track
you'd like to use, city!!!, etc)  Just so I have it and know what
potential cities we'd be talking about.  I think right now we have
Northeast (Maine), Baton Rouge, and Texas.  If there are others, shoot
me an e-mail ASAP!

> down that road.  I'm damned sure not going to put something together
at the
> last minute if another group cannot pull it off.

Agreed... that would *SUCK*  If we absolutely HAD to, I think Ray and
I could possibly pull something off in a pinch if another group fell
through.

kieran