Cooling system flush??

Berkeley and Bill Conner annapolis13315 at netzero.com
Mon May 3 19:24:50 CDT 2004

"Bissland, James" wrote:

> I'm just about to flush my cooling system, and was wondering the best way in
> which to do so?

There is lot's in the archives on this, but you can get an idea from
 http://www.se-r.net/heat_ac/coolant.html
I'd recommend a new factory thermostat -- taking out the thermostat will make
the flushing easier anyway.  It's important that you find the air relief plug
near the thermostat housing to ensure proper filling.  Remove the lower radiator
hose to aid flushing.

The most important thing is to get the air bled out of the system properly on
the last fill.  Check the archives for more information and come back if you
have specific questions.  I've never done the bent wire procedure described in
the FSM, I just fill it up to the bleed by the t-stat, close that bleed, then
fill it until it comes out the bleed near the firewall.  Then I run it and
refill it until it is topped off.  Not all SE-Rs have the bleed in the hose near
the firewall, so you might have to separate the hose from the fitting there to
allow air to escape while filling.

I hope that this gives you some ideas.

Bill Conner