Outlaw spacer issues.

Peter Serwe peter at easytree.net
Sat Apr 17 19:48:11 CDT 2004

Just for the archives.

Okay, thought I had a vacuum leak, and I did.

Turned out the TB screw had adjusted itself up
creating a huge vacuum leak past the throttle plate.

Racking my brains checking all kinds of things, I
almost got to the point of pulling the whole intake
manifold back off, and when I found that, I stopped
in mid-tracks.  Idle still seems high-ish, but hunting
stopped as soon as I turned the setscrew down.

My setscrew doesn't like to stay in one place, the
locknut keeps undoing itself - might be in part
due to the vibration of the ES mounts.

Base idle, TPS, and AAC have all been gone through,
I'm going to doublecheck the AAC tomorrow and
see if I can adjust the idle down some with it.

I also reset the ECU after seeing a 55, so all systems
are go, according to the ECU.  I'm hoping it'll learn
itself down over the next couple of days, if not, I'll
keep playing with it.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the setscrew is going
to need to be 'modified'.  I'll post further on it, if I end
up doing anything.

One thing that is nice, the runners, plenum, and TB
are all cool to the touch after an hour of idling.

I've noticed that it seems like the engine gets hot
faster, now that the intake/plenum aren't sinking
heat away from the head.  Also, the TB isn't acting
like a small heat sink, since coolant is no longer
running through it.

Even with the engine running warmer, I'm hoping
everything will be kosher with stock radiator and
50/50 mix for some lapping down in NH.

Peter

--
Peter Serwe <peter at easytree.net>