Your wisdom on REFERENCE Texts for TUNING etc.

Bruce.Hearn at cd-tech.com Bruce.Hearn at cd-tech.com
Fri Apr 16 11:19:22 CDT 2004

1. Engines General:
"Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice: Vol. 2 - 2nd Edition,
Revised: Combustion, Fuels, Materials, Design" By Charles Tayor.  Do NOT
start your learning quest here.  High level math not needed but helpful.
This is a college-level text on engine design in general and combustion
science in particular.  The ultimate in its field.

"Suck, Bang, Squish, Blow" by Mike Kojima.  In-depth yet quite readable
primer on the internal combustion engine.  Actually, any text that talks
about cam base circles and phasing is more than a mere primer.  Could be
used as only engine source book.

"Sportbike Performance Handbook" by Kevin Cameron.  Focuses on motorcycle
engines but most of the knowlege imparted applies equally well to
automotive engines.  A good start on engine knowlege.

"Cycle World" magazine for its monthly column by Kevin Cameron.  He can
talk about esoteric engine(ering) subjects but you'll be enlightened after
every column.

"Road & Track" for columns by Dennis Simanaitis.  As above.

Any of the old-school car magazines that deal with Detroit motors.  This is
where I got most of my knowlege over the years.

2. Turbo/super-charged Engines:
"Turbochargers" by Hugh McInnes
Covers the basics but leaves much unanswered, such as definition of surge.
(I learned that definition during an AIChE seminar).  Some pressure maps
but not much on how to use them.  Recommended reading but don't rely on
this book as your sole source of turbo knowlege.

3. Chassis - Suspension - Handling:
"Chassis Engineering/Chassis Design, Building & Tuning for High Performance
Handling" by Herb Adams.  Author was suspension designer for the Pontiac
Firebird.  Most in-depth text focuses on race car chassis design but it
does touch all the bases.  Again, recommended reading but not as your only
chassis book.

BiH