long-term issues and overheating

davidpertuz at mindspring.com davidpertuz at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 30 08:26:31 CST 2004

A G20 I have been considering buying (same one mentioned in my last post)
overheated when the radiator neck cracked and blew the head gasket. The head
was checked and was crack- and warpage-free. My  question as expressed in my
last post has been addressed, but I would also like some second (and third, etc.)
opinions on this:

Are there any likely long-term reliability implications with an engine that overheated
enough to require head gasket replacement, even given that the head was fine and
(it seems) only the gasket went? I am looking for a car that I will keep another 3-5
years, which means 60k - 100k miles, with, hopefully, the fabulous reliability of my
SE-R. Yeah, JDM DEs are cheap, but I don't want to have to do that...otherwise I
would probably just keep driving my SE-R endlessly.

A couple of people (Tim, Grover) gave me their thought son this, but I am interested
in hearing any others' thoughts from those who have overheated, or bought used
G20s, or etc. I am pretty inclied to get the car - if I do it'll likely be this weekend.

thanks,
David