Advanced Turbo Questions

FauxZ fauxz at speakeasy.net
Fri Mar 26 09:07:47 CST 2004

My Turbo knowledge of A/R is far from perfect, but I understand it like
this.. The A/R is the ratio between the housing and the wheel, not the
opening...    This explains why a tighter (smaller) A/R (exhaust side) will
spool faster than a bigger A/R...  Small volume, velocity rises so does
pressure... So with little gas you can get the wheel up to speed, but as you
try to cram more air past it becomes a restriction.....   Conversely, an
open A/R, .80 or example, may have a lower velocity, but you can flow more
air past it allowing the motor to breath better...

VANOS, or variable turbo like on the VW TDI motors, have a variable A/R by
using a series of vanes around the wheel..  You can probably find more info
about that online since it's too much to type here...  Also check out Corky
Bell's book  "Maximum Boost"... It's a great resource, if a bit dated, for
the amateur  Turbo enthusiast...

Zaron