The Dyno Dip

Jon Pennington cowboydren at b15sentra.net
Tue Mar 23 17:50:31 CST 2004

Matt Davis said:

> However i can say with upmost security that the knock sensor is still
> sensing knock even at WOT. other wise you wouldn't see alot of the
> issues SPec V users are having with their powerband on dyno runs..

I don't know about that.  Both of our ECUs are 32-bit, encrypted-comm,
OBD-II compliant systems, but I don't think the similarities continue much
beyond that point.  Spec-V ECUs (any year) have to control cam timing
mechanisms, and any non-SR ECU has to control COP ignition systems.  I'd
be willing to bet that the SR ECU is the simplest of any of the B15 ECU
(QGs included), and acts more like a '98/99 ECU than a '02/03 ECU.  '04
ECUs are a TOTALLY different ballgame.

I may be wrong about the KS being ignored entirely, but I'm almost
positive that it's ignored above 4000 RPM.  The O2 sensor is entirely
ignored at WOT, and I'm positive about that much.  Crank your timing up to
20* some time, run a tank of 87o through it, and see what happens. ;)

> albeit if we were to ground our knock sensors we
> would likely break something :D

Dunno.  Mebbe not.  May be worth trying...

--
-=|JP|=-        "Stays Fresh Longer!"

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://members.cardomain.com/cowboydren/   |  <//><
'95 SL2 Auto   |         cowboydren @ b15sentra . net         |