cruise control (again... thought I had it fixed)

KIERAN A. LAVIN kal8121 at oak.njit.edu
Sat Mar 13 15:14:27 CST 2004

I need someone who's knowledgeable with this stuff!  It's over my head
now...

Ok, together with the suggestions from last time and pictures of a 93FSM
(thanks to Kevin Hart!) I went to work on the cruise control over the past
2 weekends.  Last weekend I started with the first procedure and started
with the 'brain' of the cruise (ASCD).  All the pins had all the right
voltages.  The only thing that fooled me was that it just said to check
for deflection for the speed sensor.  I don't remember what I got but I
think it's ok because the light goes on (and you hear the click of the
relay) at 30 and goes back off when you drop below 30.  There are several
other indications that things are working (or at least trying to work)
properly.  As previously mentioned, the main switch goes on and the little
light in the gauge cluster goes on but the car does not hold speed.  Per
the FSM, I checked the pump and it started fine.  I replaced the vacuum
hose because there didn't seem to be a whole lot of vacuum coming from
it.  I connected the two other pins at the connector for the pump and they
pulled the ASCD wire without a problem.  The only thing that doesn't make
sense is that, when I removed #4 (return back to the negative side on the
battery) the FSM says that the wire should return to it's original
position after 50-60 seconds.  It didn't.  That shouldn't cause the cruise
not to work though, right?

So I went ahead and started checking for continuity at the ASCD brain and
the FSM calls for 8-45 between 8&9 (I got 23 or so).  For 8&10, it calls
for approx. 65 and I got 67.  For 8&14, it calls for approx. 65 and I got
0.  I tried several times.  I took a look at the wiring diagram and #14 at
the brain is the pump release valve (which would probably be why the wire
does not return to it's original position.  But still, this doesn't make
sense that the cruise wouldn't engage because of this.  Unless, somehow
it's smart enough not to engage if you're not going to be able to
disengage it?!  Wait, that makes sense... you're throttle would be wide
open and you'd be off the gas and hitting the brakes and all you could do
is take it out of gear and/or turn the car off.

Anyone ever come across this type of a situation?  Or have any clue what
to do?  Seems like the FSM is indicating that I need a new pump but I'd
rather not go out and buy one of those if I'm not 100% sure that that is
my problem.   I'm going to try to swap the pump from my car maybe and see
if that makes a difference.  I dunno... at this point I'm hunting for
answers.

kieran