cruise control

KIERAN A. LAVIN kal8121 at oak.njit.edu
Mon Mar 1 06:46:13 CST 2004

I'm wondering if anyone's come across the problem before.... on a 93 NX:

Switch the 'arm' switch on the dash next to the steering wheel to 'on' and
the light goes on.  Hit the set/coast button on the steering wheel and the
light goes on in the gauge cluster.  However, the car doesn't hold speed.
Any ideas?  I've checked the obvious fuses and relays.  According to my 96
FSM (at least in that car) the power to the steering wheel buttons goes
through the coil of the HORN relay?!  I tried using that wiring diagram
but it's not the same :(  Assuming it works similarly, there seems to be
something not allowing the cruise to set (the light in the gauge cluster
doesn't go off... it stays on but the cruise is never engaged - so it
seems)

Looking through the 96 FSM, Jen's dad pointed out that it looks like there
are a few things possibly stopping the cruise from being set - voltage
coming from the circuit for the brake pedal switch, the cancel button on
the steering wheel, the resume button, or one other that I don't remember.
To me, I'd think that if one of those was sending voltage, not only would
it turn off the cruise or not allow it to activate but it'd also turn the
light off on the gauge cluster.  However, that is probably not a safe
assumption!

Anyone have any ideas?  Anyone have a 93 FSM that could copy or scan for
me?

TIA

kieran