New EMS?

Peter Serwe peter at easytree.net
Sat Feb 28 20:53:32 CST 2004

> Has anybody here seen or heard of this?
> http://www.hydra-ems.com/

I haven't until I read through the stuff on the
end of that link.  Looks like a nice toy.

;)

> It is supposed to be better than a JWT ECU.
> It's raised a bit of interest on the SR20 forum.

My first reaction is to say that a comparison between
that and a JWT ECU is like comparing apples to snickers
bars.

JWT offers a pre-tuned, all set and ready to plug and
play for whatever you want when you order it solution
that you can't reprogram without sending it out for weeks
and spending $100.

That would be more closely compared to something like
e-manage.  The only difference that I can see, besides
more granularity of the maps (16x16 vs. 32x32, is that
it is a *lot* more expensive.  Perhaps I'm missing
something.

In fact, I'm rather sure I am, but irrespective, A greddy
setup with the MAP sensor of your choice, is around
what - $700 if you get raped.  The only downside is
that then you have to either find a map on the forums
that is known to work perfectly, that matches your
setup perfectly, or find a map that's close, and adjust
to taste.

Aforementioned 'adjustments' should be made with a
healthy amount of expertise, a prodigious sprinkling of
dyno time, and as much actual measurements as you
can get.

The thing to love about a JWT ECU is that it's all done
out of the box.  I've heard people claim that JWT is a
wee bit conservative, claiming that running the 8.5:1
T25/stock MAF program on a 9.5:1 car works well,
and other similiar anecdotes from the forums, but I've
never found any hard evidence that it does anything.

As many have also found, what feels like a loss on
the butt dyno isn't always.  I'm *pretty* certain from
things other than what my butt feels that my '92 runs
stronger than ever, and I know much weight is removed,
but it doesn't *feel* faster in my butt.

Peter
--
Peter Serwe <peter at easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.