Repeat Clutch Problem

Ron A atteber1 at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 7 19:36:15 CST 2004

I really need your help. I bought a 92 Classic in 1999. It had had a
clutch job about 20k miles before I bought it. In April of 2002, I had
this problem:

http://home.speedfactory.net/ratteber/042002-0003.jpg

That was from my defunct web page. I don't have a web page now to post
the new pictures, but the damage is similar.

Friday, I heard a noise, headed for home and confirmed that the same
thing happened. This time it was with a 2000 SE clutch disc. It's like
the bolts holding the flywheel on are grazing the edge of the metal that
holds the spring in. The outter leading edge of the bent out metal that
holds spring in place for each spring is missing 1/4 inch of metal.

I don't know which happens first, the disc hits the flywheel bolts which
damages the disc or something else damages the disc, allowing the spring
to stick out and damage the outside edge of the flywheel bolts.

I'll be reinstalling everything Wednesday and desparately need to know
how to prevent this. Please cc me if you reply since I get the digest.

Thanks in (uh, TIA!)

Ron Atteberry
92 Classic