POX on OBX!

Tim Rogers timrogers at charter.net
Mon Jan 26 00:00:06 CST 2004

With the recent increase in complaints about HS headers with cracking
issues, I was thinking about the smaller margins of reliability that we have
with many of our performance upgrades:
CAI?  Much greater chance of hydro-lock and bending a rod.
ECU upgrade or do a timing advance?  Don't put in crappy gas and then climb
a mountain or do a track day with it, you could burn a piston.
Switch to a mechanical valve train (no HVLA's) to accomodate your radical
cam?  Don't get those valves out of adjustment or you'll burn one.
With headers, I'm sure that they are much more sensetive to a bad motor
mount or an ill-fitting exhaust system.  Either could put undue stress on
the header pipes and cause a crack.
Headers have been around about as long as the automobile, and they have
generally come with the caveat:  "Sure they'll add power, but be prepared to
repair or replace them on occasion."

Tim