POX on OBX!

Sean McMahon badahab at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 25 16:31:58 CST 2004

I dont know if anyone read my first reply or not but im gonna quote myself a
couple of times here "I understand it costs a lot to r&d a header to get up to
hotshots standards" "Why cant good r&d companies like hotshot team up with
manufacturers like obx to produce a product".

I am really not trying to piss anyone off or rub them the wrong way here.  If I
have I am sorry.

Hotshot is a great company that makes a good header.  OBX is a shitty company
that stole a good design and makes a good header for less.  Mike is right this
is a sign of things to come.  Good US companies are going to have to compete
with this.  Smart companies will keep R&D and QC inhouse but leave production
to outsourcing.  Those companies will be able to lower prices and focus on
making a better product.  Not so smart companies will keep everying inhouse
because "its the american way" and they will either have to jack up prices or
lower quality.    Those companies wont be around long.  Even nissan knows that.
 How many nissans are made in Japan anymore?  I know my se-r wasnt.  Mine was
pumped out of Tennessee.  The new se-rs are made in Mexico right?

If obx can rip off a header and sell it for 150 then hotshot can outsource
production and sell it for 300 easily.  I would opt for a 300 dollar hotshot
header over a 150 dollar obx header any day of the week.  I would do it for the
exact reasons that you people mention.  Hotshot and Mike made parts for se-rs
when no one else would.  I (like many here) wouldnt be driving an se-r if Mike
hadnt written project 200sx se-r in scc.

This Is my last post on this subject.  This is getting far too out of hand.  I
think people see me as some mike/nissan/hotshot/american hateing asshat.  Im
really a mike/nissan/hotshot/american loving asshat.  Im not trying to pee in
anyones corn flakes.  I am really just trying to point out that outsourcing
production in the aftermarket could seriously benefit everyone.

I will not participate in worthless public bickering on this subject any
longer.  Anyone that wants to continue with this in a civilized way is more
then welcome to e-mail me.  badahab at yahoo.com

-sean

--- Humberto Gonzalez <hgonzalez7 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Sean, you stated that HotShot's build quality doesn't justify its price.
Much of what you are paying for when you purchase a product from HotShot is
the initial investment of time and money it took to create a header from
scratch. Don't forget they have continued to improve upon the design. It's
also built in the USA. All that adds to the price of a HotShot header. How
much did OBX have to invest into development? Nothing! They stole the design
from HotShot. Where do they build them? In China where labor costs are much,
much lower. It's no secret why they can sell it for $150.