The VE's are coming

Hammer Down hammer_down@hotmail.com
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 15:29:40 -0600

Mike, I wasn't Diss'n any engine.  I just stated a fact that the KA is Heavy
when compared to the old and tired L-16 & the defincted CA18DET which graced
the 180SX before the SR.  I don't want the car to get any heavier on the
nose if it can be avoided.  The FJ, SR and KA (especially in turbo form) are
all heavy engines for 4 bangers.  Sure, they are strong and can make some
good if not excellent HP (and torque) but the penalty in weight is one I am
not too willing to pay.    If I was willing to pay the price of weight, the
VG30 may be more enticing since it make better torque in NA form than the
KA.  I know, "if you are interested in torque, why are you asking about the
VE"?  Well, I am weighing all of my options before I make the desicion.  My
old 510 had a built L-16 that was darn near unstreetable and definitly not
the first choice for a grocery getter.  All of the power was way up high in
the rev band, even for an ancient design.  I have to decide on if I want
high winding HP NA, do I want the added complexity but nice tractable power
of a low boost/quick spooling turbo, do I want big high HP numbers available
form a large turbo set up, do I want low rpm NA big displacement grunt, am I
willing to pay a weight penalty to get it, which will effect handling?  All
good questions to be sure and ones that I need to answer.

In short, from your email I was able to see that, Yes, there is a
"distributorless" VE, but most available VE's have a distributor and are FWD
(which I already knew would intterfere with the firewall and that the
cooling system is routed at the tranmission side so would require a lot of
rerouting and hassle, (remember, I used to own one of these SR cars).  BUT
the new (?) (JDM?)  Exterra has a a Turbo charged version of the VE and it
is of course RWD....  Hmmmmm.  Decisions, decisions.... Thanks for the info!

Erik Halvorson