Timing chain skipped a tooth/was Please help engine won't start

Raymond A. Kawski sr20de@epix.net
Sun, 14 Dec 2003 11:39:01 -0600

Brian wrote:

> should be silver "mating marks" on the timing chain
> that align with the marks on the cam sprockets.  I see
> no such marks.  I rotated the engine several times so

They are not marks but some of the links are different
colors.  Just 3 of them.

> Is it possible that this chain has been replaced with
> an auto parts no-name brand that didn't have mating
> marks?  I've only owned this car for a few thousand

You can start by counting the number of rollers between the
dots on the cam sprockets.  There should be 20 rollers.  That
will atleast give you some idea.  As for not having the links
its possible as you can count the links between but that would
be a PITA so I would think they are their just not very
distinct.

RK
--
Ray Kawski
1998 Sentra SE Turbo, 1991 NX 2000, 350K mile 1991 Sentra SE-R