ABS brake problem

John A. Heer jheer@walterhav.com
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:45:05 -0600

Ouch, Scott.  That sounds serious.

Unfortunately, I have never owned an SE-R with ABS, so I know nothing
about the system (except that it is extremely crude).  Most Classic SE-R
owners that I know have disabled the ABS permanently because it is such
an inadequate system.  Perhaps the SE-R brake gurus out there in SE-R
List-Land can help you.  It does sound very dangerous, so I hope this
post can generate some quick responses.  Sorry I could not help.

John Heer
93 SE-R not stock
98 SE stock

-----Original Message-----
From: scott mccredie [mailto:swmccredie@yahoo.com]
I've got a 91 SER that's developed a potentially lethal problem: the ABS
brake self test (the strange sound that comes from the engine
compartment everytime you start the car and begin moving) now comes on
randomly, at odd intervals, for up to 10 seconds, while I'm driving.
This wouldn't be so bad except that if I need to use the brakes at this
time, I can't. The pedal action is rock hard, with no braking action.
Happens only at slow speeds. I've taken it to a Nissan dealer who
couldn't duplicate the problem and could find nothing wrong. <snip> Any
idea what to do?