JWT Nitrous Installation Update

Lewis Shadoff lshadoff@brazosport.cc.tx.us
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 10:36:33 -0600

The hardest conditions on an auto trans are "soft" shifts.  In the stock
trans this is accomplished by slowly applying hydraulic pressure to the
clutch packs so that some slippage occurs.  This causes heat buildup and
some friction material is scrubbed.  When the car is modified for more
power, the heat buildup during full acceleration shifts is much greater,
and the friction material eventually fails.

For drag racing, they recommended that I disconnect the trans dropping
resistor (located near the battery).  This causes all shifts to occur at
line pressure, and there is essentially no slippage.  It also works on the
stock auto trans.  It's not good for the street because it bangs into gear
at part throttle, and the whole car shakes.

Level 10 installed new clutch packs in my car.  The plates were thinner,
and they could get two more plates in the pack which increased the friction
area.  Also, the clutch material is much superior to the stock
plates.  Additionally, they installed a new pump which delivers higher
pressure.  This produces more clamping force on the clutch packs.  (It has
the additional benefit of higher fluid flow through the trans
cooler.)  Also, they modified the valve body to firm up the shifts and
provide more flow to the clutch packs.

I've had the trans for 19 months now, and have had zero problems.

Lew

Lew

At 07:18 AM 7/4/2000, Ben Fenner wrote:
> > I've read about level 10 and been thinking to go
> > JWT turbo Kit,but wonder if this is advisable from a reliability
> > standpoint as a daily driver?

>If done correctly, the automatic should be able to take any abuse you give
>it. It's also important to replace the torque converter with a higher stall,
>and beefier unit.
>I'm not sure exactly what Level 10 can do for you, but if they say it can
>handle 300 HP or so, then you should be fine driving around daily with 300
>HP. Although, you say your tranny sees many 7.5k rpm shifts a day. That's 0
>stress on a manual, but the automatic won't last you as long as it would
>your grandmother. Same with the upgraded unit with more power behind it.
>About the axels... An automatic will be slightly easier on the axels, but if
>you're putting lots of power down for a long time, you're going to have to
>deal with them someday. Just replace with Genuine Nissan units if they fail,
>and expect to replace them every two years or so...

>-Ben
>1994 Black SE-R

Lewis Shadoff
Lake Jackson, TX
'97 200SX SE-R, Level 10 Auto, HotShot turbo, JWT Nitrous
http://www.brazosport.edu/~lshadoff/turbo/