Please help engine won't start

Brian bkoko001@yahoo.com
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 13:29:43 -0600

I'm posting this as a follow-up to the trouble I've
been having with my 93 SE-R auto.  Problem was that
the engine would start, but only with the gas pedal
floored and it wouldn't idle -- I had to keep the gas
down to keep the engine running roughly.
Eliminated the following (thanks Jay H., Boonie,
Kojima-san, Peter S. and others):
Spark
Fuel delivery
Injector operation and resistance
Air filter
Self diagnostic on ECU flashes code 55 (normal
operation)
Fresh gas
Oh and did I mention that this happened right after I
replaced the timing chain tensioner?

I gave up and had it towed to a shop where I knew
someone.  His mechanics determined that the timing
chain has skipped and they were able to make the car
drivable by rotating the distributor.  He tells me
that if they fix the timing chain it will be about
$900, so I'm going to do the repair myself.  From
searching the archives I've gleaned that the operation
will be possible with the motor in the vehicle and
that it will be a major PITA.
Brian Kokoska
92 SE-R
93 SE-R