need carfax/help

Julian julian.hancock@amd.com
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 10:12:25 -0600

Brian wrote:
>good interior - Clarion CD changer/amp component speakers

Good.

>repainted - lots of overspray under body.

Hmmm... sounds like a cheapo paint job, it may
only hold up a few years then.

>hatch release does not work
>hood release is iffy

Probably just needs adjustment or new cables.

>leaky valve cover

Tighten back down and/or new gasket.

>recently replaced power steering hose w/ possible leak

Could be a leak from another hose in the PS system
they tend to leak with age.

>leaks oil somewhere... all over underneath car around oil pan side

Besides the valve cover leak, check oil pans, front seal & cover,
and possibly distributor.

>torn driver's CV boot
>torn PS boot passenger side

The boots aren't hard to replace, make sure the joint is
still good and the PS isn't making any wierd noises or
leaking, new axle is $$ new PS rack is $$$.

>worn shocks/bushings all around

If original, not suprising with 137k mi.

>relatively new Pirelli P6000s

Good.

>strange clutch pedal/feel, clutch does not appear to slip though

If its not slipping its probably OK for now.
The feel could be many things: cable, pivot arm,
TO bearing, pressure plate, pedal assembly...
I'd change the cable first, especially if its
original.

>strange whine under WOT.. possible belt issue.
>brakes appear to be in decent shape.
>no apparent rust

Good.

Find out how much its worth to you to fix it
(either yourself or a shop) when negotiating.
Figuring 15-12k mi./yr @ 10 years its about
"average" condition.  No leaks from the tranny
switches? From what you describe it sounds like
mostly just a bunch of minor problems.  Hope it
works out.

-Julian
'92 NX turbo & '92 SE-R