Electric Supercharger?

Lewis Shadoff lshadoff@brazosport.cc.tx.us
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:21:13 -0600

My father's friend, Max Obie, had a 1936 (or 1937) Mercedes Benz 540K
Cabriolet with an electric supercharger.  There was a button under the
accelerator pedal which turned it on.  I had a ride in the car, and when he
floored it you could hear the whine as it spooled up.  You got pressed back
in the seat, and the car seemed to just fly!

Max made his living showing his cars up and down the east coast of the US
in a tent show.  He was hired, for example, by new malls for their grand
opening.  At 50 cents per head to see his cars, he was grossing $30K per
year in the 1950s.

Lew

Lewis Shadoff
Lake Jackson, TX
'97 200SX SE-R, Level 10 Auto, HotShot turbo, JWT Nitrous
http://www.brazosport.edu/~lshadoff/turbo/