Short Shifter

Jon Pennington cowboydren@b15sentra.net
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:07:53 -0600

Jason Gould said:

> I was recommended from a few sources to get the ES
> Shifter bushing.  Guess cleans up the slop and firms up
> the shifter, or something to that effect.

You really need to experience it for yourself, but there's very very very
little play after this mod.  To get an idea of what play I'm talking
about, put your shifter in 1st gear; now wiggle the knob around, and you
can see that the shifter lever will tip a few degrees in every direction
without actually moving the lever out of gear.  Now imagine if the lever
wiggled 90-95% less before the lever pulls out of gear -- that's what the
poly shifter stabilizer bushing does.  It also improves the tactile
definition of the shifting gate as the lever moves through the gate.

Here's the deal.  There is a rubber bushing on the shifter stabilizer rod,
up near the transmission case.  You remove a nut and a washer, and pull it
out with a pair of needle-nose pliers.  It looks like a spool for sewing
thread.  You replace it with an ES bushing that comes in two halves (not a
full spool, but the top and bottom of the spool split in half), one goes
in each half of the stabilizer rod's end link.

You can get the bushing for anywhere from $4-8, but I'd recommend buying
it for $8 from Suspension Restoration (http://www.suspension.com/),
because they're such awesome guys.  This modification is worth every penny
in shifter feel.

--
-=|JP|=-        "Stays Fresh Longer!"

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://members.cardomain.com/cowboydren/   |  <//><