Tire opinions...2 to choose from

Jon Pennington cowboydren@b15sentra.net
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:42:19 -0600

Matt MA said:

> One last comment: I believe that it is a myth that all-season high
> performance tires perform better in the wet than "dry" high performance
> tires.

What kind of idiot would incinuate that?  An ultra-high-performance (aka
"three season" or "summer" or "rain") tire has clear advantages over a
tire with the M+S endorsement.  The thing that hurts dry performance is
the snow sipe; get rid of the snow sipe, and you can cut as many rain
channels (grooves around the circumference) as you like between the large
shoulder tread blocks.  Kumho 712s have one good rain channel, FK-451s
have two LARGE rain channels, Michelin Pilots often have three or more
rain channels.  The Bridgeston RE950 seems to have large rain channels in
addition to snow sipes, but is a more expensive tire.

If I'm not being clear, I am 100% with you.  I'd like to say a few words
to anyone who disagrees with you.  Every rule has an exception, but
generally, you're on the right track.  I want to see the Nitto NeoGen
(which has the DOT M+S endorsement) because they appear to have two rather
large rain channels, still have excellent shoulder tread, and I'm anxious
to see how quiet their "3-dimensional" center blocks really are.  Oh, and
they have snow sipes...

--
-=|JP|=-        "Stays Fresh Longer!"

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://members.cardomain.com/cowboydren/   |  <//><