Need help with wheel shimmy

Julian julian.hancock@amd.com
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:58:41 -0500

Dan wrote:
>I recently put some B14 S-ER wheels with new Falken ziex tires on my
>Classic. I am now getting an annoying vibration in the steering wheel at
>about 65 MPH. It is exactly the same thing that used to happen on my gf's
>Miata at about the same speed. Anyone got any ideas what I might do to fix
>this?

>Is this likely to be a wheel/tire/balamncing issue or is it possible that
>alignment (which I plan on getting done, but have not done yet) will fix
>it?

Usually vibration is caused by wheel balance problems but also make
sure the wheels are bolted evenly. Wiggle them as you bolt each
one down to make sure the lugnuts seat nice and centered.  You can
try moving the front wheels to the back and see if that has any effect,
at least it may confirm a balance issue.

-Julian
'92 NX turbo & '92 SE-R