Winter tire recommendation - 2003 SPEC-V

Joy Cordell cordell@speakeasy.org
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 23:49:50 -0500

Years ago I lived in Sweden and had Gislaved tires on my tiny Fiesta--they
practically turned it into a snowmobile. When I moved back I looked for the
same tire and found I could get them from a wholesaler in Colorado, who told
me "everyone here uses them." Have used them on three Sentras and my classic
SE-R and those cars could go through anything they didn't bottom out on.
Advantage is especially for rain and frost zones--they are a very sticky
tire that almost drive better in the rain than my Toyos and they don't
harden up when it gets cold. I used the last pair 8 or 9 winters before the
tread got too low (and most of the studs were gone by then) and had the same
performance to the end. (and the studs are quiet, "retractables.") Friend
with Beemer bought a set and couldn't believe the drive in the rain. They
aren't very expensive; I think of them as cheap insurance because I drive up
to the mountains a lot. Great fun to cruise around all the slipping 4-wheel
slide SUVs.

Gislaved distributor in Colorado now sells wholesale and ships to
individuals or will ship to your tire shop.

My question to anyone else who knows: I found a '98 200SX SE-R to replace my
stolen classic SE-R. It has 15" wheels; my Gislaveds for the classic are
14". Dealer said I could get some 14" 200SX SE rims and they would fit my
car. Is that true? With brakes even?

Joy
'93 classic SE-R, stolen in Seattle, now 8 wks ago
'98 200SX SE-R with factory alarm and club