Leaking Distributor

Julian julian.hancock@amd.com
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 11:30:27 -0500

Mark wrote:
>Oh yeah, anybody have a clue about the small amount of oil I found when I
>pulled the distributor out? If it's something I need to fix, now's the time
>since I've been pulling stuff off left and right.

There's an o-ring seal on the distributor shaft that is replaceable
if you are leaking from there. If your leak was like mine (leaking
internal dizzy shaft seal) you'll need a new distributor. Might want
to start looking for a new or good used one now.  That said you
probably have some time till then. Mine leaked bad enough that
there was a drop on the driveway every few days from the leak.
Apparently the hot oil deformed and split the distributor cap's
rubber gasket as well so the leak ran out the cap and down the
tranny to the ground.  Car ran fine though.

-Julian
'92 NX turbo & '92 SE-R