AC on Power Increase

spdracer@mail.utexas.edu spdracer@mail.utexas.edu
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 00:39:54 -0500

> For some time I have noticed performance at full throttle seems somewhat
> stronger , especially a held shift from first to second at 7500 RPM there is
> a> definite lunge forward when the Air Conditioning is on

The ecu automatically increase RPM at idle when the A/C comes on because there
needs to be more power to spin the compressor.  My guess is that if the ecu
tried to keep the idle the same, it would probably stall.  I've kinda noticed
that the car feels more powerful with the A/C on in certain situations.  The
only thing I can think of is that with the A/C on, it keeps the engine coolant
cooler.  1st case is when sitting at a light or something with the A/C on the
car turns on the radiator fans; so this keeps the coolant cooler.  2nd case is
when you're cruising, if you have the A/C on but turned the temp control a
little to the warmer side, I think that sends coolant through the heater core
and the extra cool A/C air cools down the coolant some more.  The cooler
coolant keeps the intake plenum, etc, cooler so maybe more power?  This is a
whole lot of guessing....

Khiem