need (elec.) diagnostic help - in CO and my car isn't always starting

Ben Fenner fenfam@sc.rr.com
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 06:28:37 -0500

Yes, this sounds like the exact same problem I had. As with Lawrence, it was
my ground that was causing all the fuss. I installed a new starter, and the
problem was still there. After re-wiring all possative connections with new
cable and terminals, the car still wouldn't start half the time. It ended up
being the 4 guage ground connecting the engine (from the thermostat) to the
chassis, and then to the negative battery terminal. I sanded all of the
surfaces and put some 2 guage wire in just for kicks. It's started like a
dream ever since. One way of testing this theory... Wait until the car does
it's thing, you know, where it won't start. Take your jumper cables and
connect the negative battery terminal to the engine block somewhere. Go
ahead and just let the other wire dangle there. If the car starts, you most
likely have a poor ground. If it still won't start, you may have a poor
ground from the starter to the engine block as Lawrence did.

-Ben
1994 Balck SE-R