need (elec.) diagnostic help - in CO and my car isn't always starting

Lawrence Weeks dev@anabasis.net
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 16:17:23 -0500

Once upon a time (Tue Sep 02), davidpertuz@mindspring.com wrote:

> History: drove from MN to WY SUnday before last, stopped to get
> gas, car wouldn't restart.  [ ... ] Sit overnight, starts again. You
> see the pattern. [ ... ] Could the starter be involved, it is a
> bit tought for me to check...

Sounds quite similar to the problem I had. It was my starter. Or more
precisely, my starter ground. Try to start the car, not a peep from
the starter. Move the car, or let it sit a while, and it would often
start. When that failed, I push started. Did that a lot for a couple
weeks. Not fun when you are parked on a city street.

So, removed starter, swapped with another starter which bench
tested fine. Everything is fine, until problem re-appears a
month or so later. Took old starter apart, replaced brushes and
cleaned/lubed. Bench tests great. Put in car. Problem persists. Start
thinking... There is just one big fat positive wire going to the
starter. There is no ground cable. The starter grounds through its
mating surface with the engine block. So, I used a brush and sandpaper
to clean up the block the starter faces nice and shiny. Re-installed
starter. Works great to this day.

Larry
--
Lawrence Weeks                                    lweeks@anabasis.net