OT: @#$%%$ worm (was: Re: Fielding Essensa's old.....)

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:39:05 -0500

Eric Waterman wrote:

>George, it sounds like you have the MS Blast worm.  Here's the link to
>download the fix for it.

The problem of course was keeping a connection long enough to download the
patch (and then being a moron and downloading the wrong damned patch).

The trick to keeping the connection long enough to download the patch was
adjusting the RPC properties to ignore the errors.  I don't know if this
was a bad thing, but that's what I had to do.  I tried loading a bogus
msblast.exe file hoping the worm would see the file name and not try to
reload.  I found it slowed it down, but certainly didn't stop it.  Argh.

George Roffe