Was: Forged pistons Now: Ceramic Engines.

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:18:43 -0500

I originally replied this back to Ben Walker, but hit 'reply',
instead of 'reply all'

Does anybody recall somewhere around the mid to late
80's when there was a ceramic engine motorcycle made?

I remember reading about it or watching a program on it
*somewhere* as a kid, it basically was a 4-cyl engine with
the space between the 2 adjacent cylinders knocked out,
so it was a 2 cylinder with full ceramic block and oblong
ceramic pistons.

It rev'd to something like 20k, IIRC, and was on some
test bike produced by a major japanese motorcyle
manufacturer.  I think the major reason it never flew
was that it would have cost something like $100k
to produce, once again IIRC.

The thing _did_ actually work, and quite well, at that.

--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.