Forged pistons

Ben Fenner fenfam@comcast.net
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:53:18 -0500

Jay wrote:
> Why do we remove the heat? Why is the
> cylinder surrounded by a water jacket, and the head as well? To remove
heat.

<snip>

> keeping the heat in the combustion chamber sounds counterproductive.

In theory; if the cylinder walls, head, and pistons absorbed little or no
heat (this is what SWAIN is trying to do with it's coatings) then many
things would happen that work towards reliability, higher fuel efficiency,
lower emmisions, (and for a turbo car, less lag). Assuming your exhaust is
coated as well, the higher EGTs created by the fact that the heat hasn't
been absorbed by anything else would spool a turbine faster, and light the
catalitic converter off sooner. The relatively low temps of the head, block,
and pistons would result in longer life, and reliability. The low temps of
the combustion chamber and it's surrounding metals after the exhaust is
dispelled would significantly lessen the chances of pre-ignition as well.
This *could* allow for a leaner, more fuel efficient, power producing
air/fuel mixture with a larger margin of safety. As well as allowing a small
timing advance?
I know there are other significant advantages, I just can't think of them
right now.

The SWAIN coatings are trying to similate this perfect world.

Back in the real world, the head soaks A LOT of heat, this heat needs to be
taken away from the top of the combustion chamber to prevent many
detremental happenings. This is why the head is cooled by water (or air,
ect.).
The same is true for the cylinder walls, they need cooling.
The pistons soak up heat as well, making the use of oil squirters helpfull
in the whole cooling process.

The point is, the heat and engergy should be kept in the exaust gases if at
all possible. In Bruce's ceramic engine (Are those Space Shuttle tiles you
use for pistons Bruce?), he is right, the entire coolant system of the
engine *may* be able to be removed, allowing for large advances in machine
efficiency. You're right Jay, we don't want the coolant system, but it isn't
counterproductive, because it keeps the engine from destroying itself via
heat soak.

Please don't bring EGR and water injection into this. Once you understand
it, you'll realize that it's doing something completely different. Come to
think of it, those two shouldn't be grouped together either.

Sorry for the length,
-Ben
1994 Black SE-R