Forged pistons, silicon content and sidewall clearance

Tait Parkin tait@activemanagers.com
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 08:21:06 -0500

For my part I have run forged pistons in two different SR20s.  The first was
an ill prepped, poorly build USDM SR20DE.  In this case the builder went
with forged pistons from Probe and ran very loose piston-to-wall clearences,
like ~6 thousands (if memory serves).  The engine rattled like a tine can
until warm.  My latest engine was built by Sunbelt, who also used forged
pistons, and the engine does not rattle at all, no rattling.  To date I have
not gotten the build sheet, LOL, but I trust they knew what they were doing.
I could probably get some info if anyone is interested, assuming I can get
Jim on the phone.  Sunbelt really goes all out in support of their engines.

As always- you results may vary.

Tait