Caliper rust removal

Ben Baird ben@polycore-usa.com
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:07:55 -0500

I got myself a set of used NX calipers.  They are very rusty.  I have all
the parts needed to rebuild them, but need to get the rust off first.  I was
thinking Naval Jelly and a wire wheel on my drill.  Anyone have a better
method?  When I say rusted I mean an 1/8-1/4" thick rust.  The inside of the
piston is even rusted.  The piston boots (seal) look to be in good condition
and no signs of leaking.  I will be fully rebuilding these with speed
bleeders and SMC SS lines and new shim kit, so all I'm concerned with is
rust removal and painting them.  I prolly could have saved myself the
trouble by getting a rebuilt set, but I'm a cheap bastard.

TIA,
Ben H. Baird