5W-20 engine oil?

Michael Jez 93SER@attbi.com
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:06:42 -0500

5W20 oil according to Honda is good for 10K miles- take that with a grain of
salt. It says 5-20 on most new Acura products, and I still pump 5-30 into
them cause who in their right mind will wanna change their oil every 10K
miles ? My mom drives like 7K miles a year ! Compared to me driving like
30-40K a year. So her 00 Altima with 24K miles would only need 2 oil changes
so far... Basically Honda is going with the idea of no maintenance to their
cars for 150K miles- which is putting US mechanics out of work. But they
only warranty the cars for 3-36... meaning if I get someone who never
changed their tranny fluid in their TSX or RSX or MDX and they got like 60K
miles on their tranny and the auto tranny fails.... I will make the customer
pay for the tranny- 3500 for TSX or RSX- same tranny, or 5K bux for a MDX
tranny- AWD, and on top of that 9 hours labor on the TSX/RSX or 15 hours for
the MDX @ 120 bux an hour. We mechanics do not like working for free- if we
don't get the hours we don't get paid SIMPLE, ya might think we are ripping
people off, but put yourself in my shoes and tell me U wouldn't do the same
thing ? So what it will take me 2 hours MAX to do a tranny on a RSX or TSX,
I still get paid 9 hours to do it... now if I do it in 18 hours I get only
9 hours cause thats how much the job is worth. I can do a TL tranny in 45
min - and customers pay me 9 hours to do it. Under warranty I only get 6
hours. This to some might sound like I am ripping people off, I am not,
cause when I go to the doctor and he says HI, how R U doing ? asks me what
hurts me, gives me some medicine and tells me to leave- he charges my
insurance like 400 friggn dollars for 10 min @ most ! worth of his time....
no THAT is highway robbery. There is NO phisical work involved in him making
the 400 bux, where me I got to bust my balls like a maniac to do a tranny on
a TL in 45 min. Just cause I've done thousands of them I can do them with my
eyes closed, drunk, high or whatever ya want me to be... once ya been doing
it for a long time over and over U figure out a way to do things verrry
quickly and efficiently. Sorry for going off topic.
Mike Jez
01 Max- did a clutch in it on my lunch hour :)