Swapping power steering rack for a manual rack

Charlie Guthrie smplmchn@mindspring.com
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:03:44 -0500

>What about building-up the OD of the rack by welding on some metal tubing
>so that the ES bushing fits?

I strongly suggest that one consider what effect the heat of welding will
have on the cylinder wall of the hydraulic cylinder  of the power steering
rack before increasing the rack size by welding. Generally speaking, getting
things hot that contain rubber seals and/or close tolerances is a bad thing.
I am not familiar with the mounting location of the rack, so take this
advice with caution. If the bushing that presently fits is the bushing that
locates the rack laterally, then almost anything can be used to increase the
rack tube diameter so that it fits in the other rubber bushing. The less
flexible the material, the better. I "might" even consider using aluminum
tape wrapped around the tube until the diameter was about right.  If both of
the rubber bushings keep the rack from moving laterally, then another method
needs to be used to keep the rack from shifting.
This advice comes from my "evil shade tree mechanic side," the mechanical
engineer side is shuddering at the thought.
Charlie Guthrie