List Nazis...

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:08:30 -0500

I have had some conversations with Peter regarding my message yesterday and
feel I should explain a bit further.  I think Peter understands what my
message was all about now, but I think everyone else should.

My message was not an attempt to be heavy handed with the list.  I have
neither the time, nor the inclination.  My concern is the survival of the
list.  At this time last year Larry was looking to pull the plug and much
lobbying was done to keep it.  Please, don't anyone lose sight of
this.  Bruce Hearn, Jim Wright, and I were charged with moderating the
list.    Much of what we've had to go on is following Larry's lead in the
way he has handled things in the past.

Jump to last week.  Larry has come down harsh on people using terms like
"list nazis" and "list nazi filters" in the past.  This is the whole reason
for my concern over this.  I debated sending a private message, but I
thought this was information the list as a whole needed to be aware of, so
I sent it publicly.  It was *not* meant to call Peter out or to belittle
him in any way.  My apologies to Peter if that appeared to be the
case.  The lesson here is that we all still need to be stewards of the
list.  We asked for it to continue.  Larry has provided for its
continuation.  It's our backyard.  Let's treat it right.

Again, I assure you no heavy handedness was intended in anyway.

George Roffe