Ideas on stoppin some pingin? (long)

Tim Rogers timrogers@charter.net
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:03:02 -0500

Brian Jones wrote:

>>Wondering if you could get the block too hot and therefore cause
preignition from a cooling system that is not all that it should be?  I
never
overheat according to the temp gauge.<<

It would not be the block as much as the head that would get too hot, most
likely from the system not being bled correctly.  Remember that water cools
(transfers heat) better than anti-freeze.  So if you have the incorrect
coolant mixture, this could cause some problems.
Does your car ping as soon as you drive it or only after it has warmed up?

**This just in!**
>>I JUST replaced my spark plugs with new plats 6B's...one of the old
ones on the tip was all cracked so im assuming that cylinder
maybe have been the one knocking the most?<<

Oh heck yes!  Actually, that is probably the _one_ cylinder that is
knocking.
I would not worry about cooling issues, this is most likely a fuel, spark,
or mechanical problem (in that order of likelihood.)
You may have an injector (or its wiring) going bad (my prime suspect,) a bad
distributor (loose rotor, etc.) that is causing that cylinder to fire soon
in its cycle, or something maybe best left to a mechanic...

Tim