Swapping power steering rack for a manual rack

Mark Schoenholz markschoen@comcast.net
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:56:44 -0500

I thought I would share my latest experiment to remove weight from my
committed track slut.  This afternoon I began the steering rack swap
from ps to manual on my '91 SE-R.  The manual rack came from a '91-94
Sentra E model.  E models came w/ power steering (ps) as an option.  I
sourced my used manual rack via http://www.car-part.com/.

I'll write-up another blurb once I test drive the car with the manual
rack.

http://tinyurl.com/gth3

The overall length of the two racks is close to the same.  The manual
rack is about an inch longer overall but has enough threaded adjustment
so I could install the tie rod ends at the same distance apart as they
were on the ps rack.  You can also see that the boots are longer on the
manual but I don't think it will create any clearance problems.

http://tinyurl.com/gthb

The input shafts are the same length.  The one on the manual just has a
smaller diameter at the splines.  I'll swap the big black rubber boot
over to the manual rack.  The manual rack is in fantastic shape.

http://tinyurl.com/gthj

The universal joint is what attaches the rack shaft to the steering
wheel shaft.  It's located at the firewall between two black rubber
boots.  The manual is on the left and the ps joint is on the right.
They both look the same don't they? :)

http://tinyurl.com/gths

(View from the steering wheel shaft side)
They still look the same don't they? :)

http://tinyurl.com/gthv

The manual is on the left.  See the difference?  The manual rack has a
smaller diameter input shaft.  This is why it is critical to get a this
little part too when you buy your used rack.  The junk yard I used
called the the "intermediate" shaft.

http://tinyurl.com/gti5

This is the other difference between the ps and manual racks.  The
diameter of the rack is smaller at the right side (passenger side)
mounting point than on the ps rack.  The difference is made up in the
thickness of the mount bushing so make sure the junk yard supplies this
rubber bushing as well...or buy a new one from Nissan.  The bad thing is
since it's a thicker mount the ES ps rack mounts won't work....or at
least the right one won't.

http://tinyurl.com/gtii

Rack removed.  I can't say the engine definitely has to be out to remove
the rack but I don't see how you could do it with it in.

http://tinyurl.com/gtik

PS reservoir, lines and cooler removed.

Mark