'94 SE-R problems

Wright, Benjamin John (UMR-Student) bjwc98@umr.edu
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 14:26:35 -0500

I have the dreaded rough idle and revving problems that everyone
else has. Well I just took my car into the local Nissan dealer and
they want $900 to clean out my entire intake system. The tech said
that the EGR works fine but that there are most likely parts of the
intake that are clogged, so they basically want to rip the entire
intake tract off, take it all apart, and clean it. Are these guys
just taking me for a idiot or has anyone else ever had this done? I
really don't want to pay $900 and I have a feeling that there's a
much simpler solution. If I just wanted to plug the lines to the EGR,
as per some people's advice on the se-r.net website, what should I
use to do this? I figure that's a much much cheaper alternative. Or do
you think I should just have them clean out my throttle body and maybe
air idle valve, so maybe they don't have to do the whole thing? From
tinkering around I know that if I take the vacuum hose leading from
the BPT valve to the EGR the revving problem goes away. I was just
figuring I could plug this and be fine. I'm not too sure that this
would fix the rough idle, as sometimes the car doesn't even stay
running when I first turn it on. When I did this fix the engine was
warm and the idle problem doesn't happen when it's warm. Any advice
you could provide would be extremely beneficial. Thanks.

Ben Wright
Ruby Red '94 B13 SE-R