Solid and Vented

Jon Pennington cowboydren@b15sentra.net
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 21:51:03 -0500

hlava said:

> I've decided to just get new rotors. They'd be nice and clean, no rust,
> and maybe the weird noise will go bye bye.

Have you considered the AD22VF upgrade?  Massive improvement in braking
force at the expense of a little rotational mass (blah).  That information
is well-documented on SE-R.net.  Yeah, it's pricey, but for heavy street
and autocrossing use, it's really pretty cheap.

> hard to believe the rears are so much thinner.

Not really.  On FWD cars, the front brakes do a LOT more work than the
rears, which are *almost* "just along for the ride."  I seem to recall the
proportioning ratio being somewhere around 80/20, but don't quote me on
that.

> Anyway, would their be a problems or benefits going with a solid front
> rotor rather than a vented?

Solid rotors can't evacuate any heat, and thus warp quickly.  Get OEM-type
Brembo rotors from a company with access to cad-plating equipment.  More
expensive than parts-store replacements, but a better investment in the
long run.  Brembo front rotors (not AD22VF, not plated) cost about $32
from Summit Racing.

--
-=|JP|=-        "Stew my foot and call me Susan!"

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://members.cardomain.com/cowboydren/   |  <//><
'95 SL2 Auto   |         cowboydren @ b15sentra . net         |