EGR cleaning

Raymond A. Kawski sr20de@epix.net
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:12:27 -0500

Brian wrote:

> Short of taking the intake manifold off, what is the best
> way to clean the EGR? which one is the tube? when looking
> at the engine is it the one on the right or the left? do
> i unscrew that top piece and run some wire and carb
> cleaner down there?

Funny you should ask I did this YESTERDAY.  The pipe you
need to remove is the big one that goes to exhaust
manifold.  You could probably do it witout removing that
but this is the best way.  Losen the 24mm bolt on the tube
on the right of the manifold.  Then there are two 10mm
bolts on the intake manifold.  Remove those.   You may be
able to finagle the tube out w/o removing the distributor
but it will be much easier to pull the distributor.  Mark
the distributor so you can put it back in exactly where it
was so you don't have to use a timing gun.  Once you get
the tube out you will want to make sure the small tube is
free of all blockages.

If I where you I would pull the throttle body off at the
same time and clean it.  I did all that yesterday and the
349,000 mile car idles like a new car now.

You will want new gaskets for all that that too.

RK