Brake Question (non SE-R)

Josh Foster jfoster@hoelscherengr.com
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:13:37 -0500

List,

This is non-SE-R related, but it is car related.  I just bought a car that
basically did not have any brakes on it.  So I installed new pads, new
shoes, and bled the system.  The pedal was rock hard with the car off.  Turn
the car on, and the pedal goes to the floor (0 pressure).  Not a big deal,
trouble shoot according to the Haynes (FSM has unhelpful).  According to
Haynes, it is the brake booster.  I get a used one (I'm tight, money is for
mods to the SE-R), and replace it.  Same thing happens.  I've checked the
check valve.  I have not re-bleed the system after installing the booster,
but the pedal is still hard with the car off (I will re-bleed the system; I
just haven't yet).  Does anyone have any ideas?  The wheel cylinders and
calipers seem to be working correctly without leaks.  Has anyone ever had a
master cylinder go bad that would hold pressure with the car off but not on?
I would prefer to solve the problem without just throwing money at things.
The "new" booster could be bad, but I haven't heard of many boosters going
bad much less possibly two; but there is the possibility.  Just looking for
some ideas, and I respect the lists' knowledge.

Thanks,

Josh

Josh Foster
'92 SE-R