AGXs (for a 91 Nissan Sentra (George Roffe)

Glen Ho alterzgo@yahoo.com
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 23:49:34 -0500

--- George Roffe <geo3@earthlink.net> wrote:

> *Generally* the positive numbers indicate compression (I used to call it
> jounce, but I found out that's an old expression and not used anymore).  I
> say generally since it really depends upon the dyno, or more correctly, the
> software.  Also, this is a very old style dyno chart, so who knows what
> convention is being used.  Clearly the folks at KYB are FOS though.

Interesting.  Regardless of how Kyle's GAB vs. AGX dyno chart is to be read,
the one thing we can clearly see is that the KYBs are only adjustable in 1
direction - rebound OR compression depending on how that shock dyno should be
read - clearly not both as the KYB people are stating.

IMO, I believe that the KYBs are adjustable only on rebound.  When I got my
GC/AGX set up, the very first thing I did was grab the AGX strut and compress
and pull out the shock piston to feel the difference between the various
settings by hand.  No matter how it was set, the compression stroke felt
basically unchanged whereas the rebound stroke was progressively harder to pull
out with each higher setting - so much so that when set to "4", I could no
longer pull the shock piston back up!  So, for myself, I'm convinced through my
own personal physical tests that the rebound was definitely adjustable.  For
those who do not know what to believe, I suggest that you try this experiment
yourself.  Locate a brand new AGX strut and compress and extend the shock at
the various settings.  I'm sure you will observe the same things I did.

Yup.  The KYB people are definitely FOS.  That information that was posted
previously showing the various dampening rates does not match reality.  I
compared a *brand new* OEM strut to a KYB AGX strut.  Even at the 1 setting,
the AGX strut had MUCH more compression AND rebound dampening.  This is not
necessarily a bad thing, but it is clearly not just 10 or 15% more than stock.
If so, there is no way in hell an AGX strut set to "1" would be able to
adequately control the 300+ lb/in ERS springs.

Glen